Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Salad Dressing, Mmmmm

At this moment, I am enjoying a salad of baby spinach, spring mix lettuce, cucumbers, red peppers, onions, chopped broccoli florets, and a homemade salad dressing. The recipe can be found here. Thanks for the recipe, Snowdrop! It is soooo good. At first I thought it was okay, maybe a little heavy on the lemon juice or the vinegar, I wasn't sure which. But it is addicting. I probably use way too much, but I really love it. This salad is actually my second...I just had to have another one so I could have more dressing!

I adjusted it a little bit, replacing the garlic powder, which I didn't have, with an extra garlic clove. I'm not sure why I wasn't crazy about it at first, probably because it is supposed to be a ranch substitute, and to me, it doesn't taste like ranch dressing. But as my first raw dressing, I am happy with it. My husband doesn't like it, but he is picky, and actually likes to eat salad plain. Yuck. Maybe after a while on raw I'll like salad plain, too, but right now, a plain salad is unappetizing to me. Too dry.

I did have to thin it out (it was thick like veggie dip) by adding some more purified water and shaking it up in the dressing bottle. That made almost a whole large bottle of dressing. I got it at just the right thickness. At first I thought it was too thin, but then I realized it was perfect: drippy enough to be able to pour slow drips all over the salad, thus using less of it, but thick enough that it didn't run off the lettuce or drip all over my shirt.

A whole post dedicated to salad dressing might seem a bit much, but I just had to share! ;-)

No comments: