Monday, February 4, 2008

Update: Had Baby, Off Raw, On Raw

Sorry for having disappeared. I was busy with my new baby and buying a house. (YAY!) To catch you up, I had a healthy baby, unfortunately another cesarean, as the evil doctors and hospitals have forced me into not having a choice. The baby came a little early but was healthy, and still big, despite the fact that I had normal weight gain, ate a healthy high raw diet, and controlled my blood sugar. So to my doctors who thought my babies were big because I am fat and/or had high blood sugar....HA! I told you so! It runs in the family, just like I said.

Okay, putting that rant aside, everything is great. We bought a house in the country. We love it, it's huge. I did fall off the raw wagon not long after I had the baby. I tried getting back on it, but it was a tough time, and the chopping and peeling for the whole family really overwhelmed me. Plus my husband wasn't really into it. After failing at raw, I tried Kimkins again, but that didn't last long. I was sooooo hungry. Probably because I was nursing at the time. I was taking in more carbs than normal because I was nursing, but I guess it wasn't enough.

After that failure, I was really depressed. I couldn't bring myself to try another diet for a long time, because I couldn't bear failing again. So I ballooned up to 277 in two months. Yikes! After that, something HAD to be done. But what? I was desperate to try a mini gastric bypass, but my insurance doesn't cover it, and we have no money. Eventually I joined Weight Watchers again, even though I really wanted to do raw. After a few days on WW, I decided to do what I knew I had to...go back to raw. Raw foods actually fits right in with the WW core plan, except that on Core you can't eat stuff like agave, honey, or nuts. So I decided to to raw, and go to WW meetings once a month for real-world support.

I started doing semi-raw a few weeks ago, building up to high raw at the end of January. My husband, decided to join me, but this time for his own reasons. Diabetes runs in his family, and his blood sugar tested high on my monitor. Now, the strips had been left in the cold, and the reading may not be accurate, but it scared him. So he's really gung-ho about it, and I'm so proud of him.

As of February 1, 2008, we are now both 100% raw. I have not cheated, and I feel great. Detox is kind of starting to kick in, but no big deal at all, as of yet. I'm so happy about this decision, and we are really committed to doing a full 30 challenge along with others over at rawfoodtalk.com.

There you have it, consider yourselves updated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I commend you for your decision to go back to raw foods! I'm just about 36 weeks pregnant and preparing to transition to a high raw lifestyle. I look forward to seeing how your journey progresses!!!

Mommaroo2 said...

I went high raw during my pregnancy, and it helped me a lot. I know you'll love it. Good luck with your birth!